The State Climatologist of Florida, Dr. David Zierden recently released the Fall/Winter Climate Outlook for Florida and the Southeast. Thanks to Dr. Zierden for keeping us up to date. Many farmers ask me what we “know” about the climate and how it will affect the weather each winter and into spring. Here are a few highlights from this report.
- Winter to be more variable in the Southeast-Swings between warmer, colder, wetter and drier.
- Pacific Ocean to remain neutral through spring of 2014.
- Increased risk of damaging freezes-Nearly all “impact” freezes have occured during a neutral phase in the Pacific Ocean.
- Recent conditions-Record setting summer rainfall.
- Fall drying trend-Abnormally dry has reappeared in the Drought Monitor over areas of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina.
You can find the full report from Dr. Zierden at the link below.